Old August 21st, 2007, 12:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
J. Clarke[_2_]

Default How to pack light, some tips

Markku Grönroos wrote:
"Chris Blunt" kirjoitti
om...
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 15:58:18 +0300, Markku Grönroos
wrote:

"Spehro Pefhany" kirjoitti
om...

I carry a small bottle of shampoo, because I don't like the free
stuff. Maybe 200ml, which could last for several weeks. Not
having
a mobile phone seems silly.

Why? When travelling on holiday, you need a phone. I don't need
one.

I find a phone to keep in touch with people even more useful when
I'm
traveling than it is at home. It also serves as a camera, an alarm
clock, a GPS, and a way to check my emails. Something so compact
that
does all that and only weighs around 100g easily justifies being
taken along on any trips I make.

Fortunately I don't have to be available for other people at work by
phone. Actually I seldom carry a phone when I am out of home. When I
am back I just check the calls. If wandering in wilderness, a phone
may be a good piece in security terms, but on the other hand I have
never went deep in to wild vistas all my own.

If you're going "deep in to wild vistas" the cell phone usually won't
work anyway. Taking a day hike in Connecticut it's nice to have in
case you slip and break your leg, but coverage when you're away from
areas of high population density starts to get spotty.

Even driving the Trans-Labrador Highway you won't have cell
coverage--for one segment of if the Canadian government will loan you
a 911-only satphone at no charge.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)