Old June 24th, 2015, 01:30 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin

Default Mosquitoes in Italy

Anyways, a place I booked in Pisa for an upcoming trip lists under
"Services" mosquito nets in all rooms.

It's strange the B&B in Pisa was on the 6th floor (or 7th in the US) so
you wouldn't think mosquitoes would be a problem. Plus it was pretty
far from the river, which didn't look like it would be a big source of
mosquitoes anyways.

Mosquitoes seem to like getting higher than you'd think possible and
in the most unexpected places. I spent half the night splatting them
with a towel in an upper-floor room of a modern hotel in Grenoble.
And the most heavily screened place I've ever seen, for good reason,
was the lodge near the summit of Mount Nemrut in Turkey (the one with
the statues) - that was around 2000 metres up with no visible surface
water for miles. Down on the plain in Malatya and Urfa, no screens
and not a mosquito in sight, though the river in Urfa is a sluggish
muddy trickle you'd expect to breed them in billions.