Old February 7th, 2004, 08:28 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default "Americans not getting bang for buck in Europe"

Olivers wrote:

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) muttered...

Well, we enjoyed favorable exchange rates for a long, long time - when
the dollar keeps dropping in value, perhaps we should do something about
our trade deficits? (I admit my recent trip to Vienna cost me
considerably more - in US currency - than the one in 2000, but what can
you expect, with our current administration?)

Quick course in Economics, Ev, the part you must have missed during your
last and lamented miseducation.....

Not exactly "miseducation", since I attended one of the most respected
smaller liberal arts instutions in the U.S. (as did Kofi Anan, Walter
Mondale, and a few other rather prominent journalists, diplomats and
politicians). However, my field of expertise is music, not economics -
in fact the latter made so little sense to my logical mind that I barely
passed the course. (Which I only took to help fulfill graduation
requirements.) Before you make any more snide remarks, I base my claim
to a "logical mind" on the fact that I "broke" the logical reasoning
segments in several standardized tests.

So, while cheap dollars make your trip to Europe expensive, cheap dollars
actually stimulate production and employment in several large segments of
the US economy

Tell that to all the Americans out of work - a great many of them SINCE
the current administration took office!

The over=priced dollar of the later Clinton years wasa sure-fire
inescapable predictor of "things to come" to almost every international
economist (and the pages of dozens of economic publications, 1995-2000,
were filled with dire projections). Some folks simply didn't read (and
never have).

That's how currency traders make money. Most of them read.

I really appreciate the courtesy of your reply - obviously YOUR
"miseducation" did not include diplomacy!