Old February 7th, 2008, 06:37 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Jan

Default Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe or Zambia

"Rita Daggett" wrote in
:

... So who could
suggest good ideas for the trip to Victoria Falls, combine it with a
safari in that area (are there any interesting game parks ?).
Any help re accomodation, sights and flights is welcome. Am not sure
which side is best: Zimbabwe or Zambia.

THere is a small game park on the Zimbabwe side; think it has a
camp/lodge with opportunities to ride elephants.
Personally I think the best views are from the Zambian side, but if
possible do both. Hwange Park used to be within reasonable reach of
the Falls, but given the situation in Zimbabwe, I'd tackle it from the
Zambian side and go across the bridge if its easy to do when you get
there. Zambia has wonderful game parks - the Lower Zambezi one
probably the nearest to the Falls. Small camps/lodges and the
possibility of night drives and game walks; also canoeing on the
river. There is also Tongabezi Lodge (on an island near the Falls).
From the Zimbabwe side there used to be several different types of
flights over the Falls (light aircraft, helicopter, and microlight).
dont know if they are still available or if there is anything now from
Zambian side (which has considerably developed since last time I was
there). Seeing them from above is an experience - but a very bumpy one
so if you are prone to air-sickness, be warned!

I've been at the falls in september. I stayed in a backbackers hotel at
the Zambian side.
For a day trip (crossing the border is easy, I just had to arrange a
multi entry visa in Livingstone), I went to the Zimbabwe side.
I did the walking with the lions tour in Antelope Park. Great trip!

The microlight is also highly recommended.

There were many tourists at the Zimbabwe side and all was quiet.
The view on the falls on the Zimbabwe side was much better in the dry
season.
Hwange park was a great park, I visited it in 1995. But nobody was
offering a trip to this park on the Zambian side.
Botswana is a great safari destination, but may be december is too hot
and wet.

Jan.