Old June 7th, 2010, 10:40 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
rieker

Default passport needed or not for Caribbean cruise?

Anybody ever used a "US Passport Card" ?? It is unlikely that I'll
be flying to another country, so that would probably be fine with me.

A passport card is worthless, IMO.

If you are on a 'closed loop' cruise (one wherein you return to the same
port from which you sailed) a US citizen can use the combination of a
certified birth certificate and a govt. issued photo ID (drivers license).
I believe that children under 16 only need a birth certificate.

If you get sick and must return home from any foreign port, anywhere on
planet earth, you will need a real passport (not the 'card').

If you take a cruise that departs say from Ft Lauderdale, transits the
Panama Canal and you finish in San Diego, you need a passport.

A passport will cost you about $10/yr. You have to pay up front....they are
issued for 10 years (to adults, kids are a little cheaper and good for 5
yrs.)

http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1206635771151.shtm
"How will the final WHTI requirements affect passengers going on cruises?
U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same
port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of
citizenship, such as a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. A
U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original
or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad
issued by DOS, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship
and Immigration Services.
Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport when
you dock at a foreign port, depending on the islands or countries that your
cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruiseline to ensure you have the
appropriate documents for the stops you'll be making on your cruise."