Old June 5th, 2015, 03:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake, MVP

Default Manual or Automatic Rental in Countries that Drive on the Wrong (Left) Side of the Road

On Thu, 04 Jun 2015 00:46:03 -0700, sms
wrote:

We're going to Ireland soon and the rental cars with an automatic are
much more expensive. I have no problem driving a stick shift but I
wonder if combining shifting with the left hand and driving on the left,
in an unfamiliar country, is too much at once.

It's up to you of course, but I wouldn't do it. Leaving aside the
other points, I don't want to drive on what to me is the wrong side of
the road; most of the time, I could handle it without a problem, but
what frightens me is thinking that I might react improperly in an
emergency situation--doing something like ducking to the right when I
should duck to the left.

I don't even like to walk across the street in a country that drives
on the wrong side of the road, because by habit, I first look to the
left to see if any traffic is coming.