Old June 21st, 2006, 11:50 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Advice New York

Many thanks to all who replied.

Brian
"Pan" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 13:53:53 +0100, "Brian Tannam"
wrote:

[snip]
For example...where do the general public head for precisely, to get a
good
view of the Macys 4th July Fireworks display, and how early would you
advise us to be in position.

If you want a seat, go to Roosevelt Island early (I'd advise not later
than 5 PM, because I've been shut out when I left closer to 6) and pay
$20 or whatever they're charging to sit on a not very comfortable
plastic chair on the southern end of the island. (Note: The Tram to
Roosevelt Island is not running, so take the F train to get there from
Manhattan.) Pay in advance to have a better shot at not being turned
away. It's the closest view of the fireworks you can get without being
on a boat, but it's a lot to pay just for a seat. If you do get shut
out, you can get a pretty good though partial view from the building
(hospital, I think?) just across the street from the park at the south
end of the island.

Failing that, go to anywhere on the East River in Manhattan south of
42 St. or so, or in Brooklyn. Again, get there early, or you will not
be able to get the best view. But the thing is, you can get a decent
though partial view of the fireworks from places like Tompkins Square
Park if you don't go early. But seriously, part of the experience is
to be with the crowd on the river. The atmosphere is friendly and
festive. So go and stand for a few hours with everyone else, unless
there's a physical reason you can't stand for a few hours in what
could be 38-degree heat. Bring plenty of bottled water!!!!!

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the
NOTRASH. Please do not email me something which you also posted.