Old August 4th, 2004, 08:16 PM
Tchiowa

Default Singapore - 6 hrs to kill in airport- any bus trips?

Markku Grönroos wrote in message ...
Tchiowa kirjoitti:

And your point was? When you are in transit, Singapore does not serve as
a hidden city.

The point is that if you leave the airport it does, in fact, serve as
a hidden city.

No it does not.

It does so only if you decided to leave the airport for
good and not to fly the leg from SIN to BKK.

Wrong. If you want a ticket with multiple stops you don't get the
discounted ticket. I gave the specific example.

I don't know what specific you gave (somehow I assume you do not
understand yourself the sentence "If you want..." ).

I gave the example of SFO/BKK return and SFO/SIN return and that if
you want to lay over in Singapore they want you to buy SFO/SIN/BKK as
separate tickets and more expensive.

Hidden city is a
place from which on a passenger does show up for the remaining legs as
printed on his ticket because he has reached his destination.

That is just one example. The other is using a transit stop as other
than transit.

Airlines
do not allow luggage check in to such places,

That's right. And they don't allow you to leave the transit area and
leave your luggage checked.

so hidden city passengers
most often fly without luggage in cargo.

That would be dumb. Shipping luggage as cargo raises the price and
defeats the purpose of playing "hidden city". Actually hidden city
passengers try to fly with carry-on only to eliminate *ALL* of the
related issues.

For instance Finnair is in geographic position to use Helsinki as a
hidden city between Europe and Asia (for westbound destinations on the
other hand it does not have this benefit along with Moscow but Heathrow,
Madrid, Franfurt and so on are strong points due to their more
favourable position). As far as economy is concerned it is worth
considering a travel to begin from Tallinn (TLL) instead of HEL when
riding to Asia by Finnair. For instance right now the company sells
return tickets HEL-BKK-HEL in economy class by ?1141 while the same
tickets PLUS return tickets TLL-HEL-TLL go for ?677. The first mentioned
combination of tickets costs hefty ?464 (68%) more.

But all that is European. The rules are different if you transit in
the US or Asia.

You made the comment about experienced travelers not believing me. I
am an experienced traveller. You are not. Get over it.

Of course we do not.

Don't say "we". You are not among the experienced travellers here.
You've pretty much proven that repeatedly.

Get lost.

I'm too experienced a traveller for that to happen. :-) Perhaps you
should grow up just a tad and try again. Let's hear your anti-Jewish
rant again. That was funny.