Old July 24th, 2006, 08:14 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Miguel Cruz

Default Draconian vacation policies for US slave workers

Dave Frightens Me wrote:
Where have you been visiting lately? Apparently not Europe, or you'd
be visiting rte more!

Spent a month in Europe around May but was kind of on autopilot. Two
weeks in Holland, then went down to Sevilla for Feria season. Couldn't
get a flight to Sevilla (everything full), so I looked on the map and
the closest place with cheap flights turned out to be Faro, Portugal, on
Transavia. It only looked to be a couple hours away from Sevilla on the
map, so I figured there'd probably be hourly trains or something.

Boy was that guess wrong. I got there and there wasn't even daily
scheduled bus service - I arrived on Saturday and the next bus was
Monday. No train at all (except via Lisbon!). Finally on Sunday someone
tipped me off to a secret bus, the existence of which had been denied by
everyone else, that made the trip in only about 4 hours.

Feria was quite a sight though.

At the same time, the cultural monotony of Sevilla is unsettling. A
giant city, with something like 6 restaurants (not including fast food)
that aren't Spanish/French/Italian. Every one of those 6 was full of
foreigners and (by their accents) madrilenos, not a sevillano in sight.

It's very beautiful, but I can't deal with Spain for long.

Me, I got married and moved to Italy, and am loving every baking
moment of summer!

Congratulations. Does this mean you'll be settling down in one place?

miguel
--
Photos from 40 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Latest photos: Malaysia; Thailand; Singapore; Spain; Morocco