Old September 18th, 2007, 02:31 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton[_2_]

Default Driver Licensing not about highway safety

Alohacyberian wrote on Tue, 18 Sep 2007 10:55:26 GMT:

A "proffsl" wrote in message
oups.com...
?? Driver Licensing serves no purpose for highway safety that
?? laws against endangerment did not already serve, and
?? instead only serves fiscal greed.
??
A I don't agree, but, driver licensing is here to stay. Might
A as well get used to it. If it were fiscal greed, it would
A cost a couple hundred dollars to get a license. License
A information also helps solve a lot of crimes, offer
A identification and let others know that the people with the
A licenses had to provide some proof that they were somewhat
A competent to drive motor vehicles. KM

You could probably make a case against car license plates too!
At one time, you could get used to the pattern in a state. which
facilitated reading quickly. It's much more complicated now in
my state of MD. We have ABC123, 1AB C23, 123M456, M12345, vanity
plates, private organizational plates like UMD 1234 and I don't
know what else. They don't even issue new plates unless you ask
for them or, sometimes, buy a new car but it's a healthy hunk of
change each year for the little plastic sticker!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not