Old September 27th, 2003, 06:20 AM
Odysseus

Default Railway progress into Darwin

The justification of infrastructure building such as these shouldn't just be
measured by the short term cash returns, rather we should be looking into
the future. 100 years to get around to building 1500 km of railway line and
how many years and still no alternate Sydney airport is rather pathetic.
We're run by committee's that eternally debate anything without really ever
getting anywhere. Our leaders have no vision of the future of this country.
Our politicians never have a problem finding money for pet projects that
don't really better the country, but a steady program for rail projects is
usually put off to a future generation. Meanwhile we have to rely on road
transport, so everything ends up designed around it, regardless of long term
consequences.

I'm a Yank.

Our politicians are the same way and always have been. The following is from
a song in the musical 1776. It's a fictionalized story about what transpired
leading up to the Continental Congress declaring independence from Great
Britain.

They may sit here for years and years in Philadelphia
These indecisive grenadiers of Philadelphia
They can't decide on what is right or wrong
or what is good or bad
I'm convinced the only purpose
this congress ever had
was to gather here specifically
to drive John Adams mad!

Chorus:
You see we piddle twiddle and resolve
not one damn thing do we solve
piddle twiddle and resolve
nothing's ever solved
in foul, fetid, fuming, foggy, filthy, Philadelphia.