Old August 5th, 2005, 08:26 PM
D Ball

Hi, Sunny. We agree with you, London theatre seems a little different to us.
By our observation, everyone's more respectful of the "fourth wall"--actors
don't often break character to speak directly to the audience, and the
audience is more reserved in their vocal responses, laughter and applause.
That is why it felt really electric when this hometown crowd spontaneously
roared with approval at the end of the song I mentioned and, at the end,
rose almost en masse to give a standing ovation surprisingly early in the
bows, long before the principals made their appearances. We didn't see any
plays this time. The other musical we saw was The Producers. It was a great
production and a lot of fun. But that is a show London audiences are very
uncomfortable watching! They aren't real sure about Mel Brooks' humour.

Both shows started about 10 minutes late because all bags are now searched
on entry. Interesting new touch--this has probably made it to Broadway, but
I haven't been in a couple of years--you could drop a 50p coin in a holder
affixed to the back of the seat in front of you to release a pair of plastic
"opera glasses." They worked better than expected!

As always, we had a spectacular time in your old stomping ground, Sunny. The
new Winston Churchill museum associated with the Cabinet War Rooms is
marvelous.

Take care,

Diana

"villa deauville" wrote in message
Welcome back Diana.
I love the London theater. Has a different "feeling" than Broadway.
especially their plays.

SUNNY

S'nd I
XXX