Old October 11th, 2011, 10:31 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Panawe

Default Road trip USA Nat'l parks

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 21:42:03 +0000, Kay Lancaster wrote:

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 08:33:06 -0500, Panawe wrote:
Hi,

Advice please. I am planning a road trip (fly-drive from UK and stay in
hotels/motels) to the western US next year and I have a number of
questions.

I would like to go whale-watching and see Yosemite and Yellowstone
Nat'l parks (and others if feasible).

I don't like cities.

I am planning on 14 days, is this long enough?

Two or three years instead of two weeks would be a better start on this
project. g Pretty good intro to US National Parks:
http://www.pbs.org/nationalparks/

You've got some good advice, but I'd add a couple of spots to the
agenda. And I'd consider moving the trip back to September... most of
the crowds are gone and the weather is gentle.

Consider flying in to Seattle the do the loop out into the Olympic
National Park -- extraordinary views, and you'll be in a temperate rain
forest. Be sure to stop at places like Hall of Moss:
http://www.lovethesepics.com/2011/07...rk-one-of-the-

wildest-places-left-in-the-usa-36-pics/
http://susan-lynne-hamilton.suite101...el-in-olympic-

national-park-wa-usa-a122343/
http://www.sunset.com/travel/northwe...al-park-hikes-

rainforest-00400000050531/
http://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/index.htm

From there, drive or fly to Yellowstone, which will take at least three
days to begin to see some of wonders there. There is a new documentary
that was recently aired on PBS here that you might want to see before
visiting. Here's the website with a clip of the program:
http://www.aboveyellowstone.com/ And a slightly older program focusing
on the geology: http://www.pbs.org/programs/yellowstone/

If you drive, consider swinging by Mt. St. Helens national monument
http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/

c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjAwhwtDDw9_AI8zPyhQ oY6BdkOyoCAGixyPg!/?
ss=110623&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=STELPRDB5150 439&navid=091000000000000&position=Feature*&ttype= detail&pname=Mount
%2520St.%2520Helens%2520National%2520Volcanic%2520 Monument-%2520Home
and Ape Cave http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ape_Cave then drop down to
near Portland and take the Columbia River Gorge scenic highway:
http://thecolumbiaexperience.wordpre...olumbia-river-

gorge-waterfalls/
Multnomah Falls has been heavily "improved" because of the heavy
visitor load there, and it's certainly worth a stop, but my favorite
easy to get to falls is Latourell, just a couple of miles W of
Multnomah, and an easy stroll from a parking lot, but virtually
unvisited. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latourell_Falls

Drive or fly back to the Yosemite area from Yellowstone:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/index.htm
and don't miss Calaveras Big Trees (California state park) nearby
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=551
http://www.google.com/search?q=calaveras+big+trees

Fly out of San Francisco after a visit to the Monterey aquarium (world
class!), S of the city, and to Muir Woods N of San Francisco (a
different species than the Big Trees of Calaveras)

If you've got some time stuck in the city of SF, then I recommend the
Exploratorium, a hands-on science museum, if you're so inclined.
Another world class site. http://www.exploratorium.edu/

Whatever you do, please, please be careful. The western states,
especially the national parks and monuments, can be deadly to people who
don't think. Wild animals are wild -- DO NOT APPROACH. There are
cougars, bears, bison, elk, deer, and they can all be deadly. Seeing
tourists think about putting their kids next to a bear or bison in
Yellowstone was one of the scariest moments of my first year in grad
school, and the first time I seriously thought there ought to be an open
season on stupidity.

The terrain, in general, is rugged -- the areas you're thinking about
are all about the geology -- if you're going to get out of a direct line
of site of pavement, carry food, water, space blanket, rain gear and a
fleece jacket, even if it's 90 degrees out and clear as a bell when you
leave. Wear hiking boots, not sneakers or sandals. Rescue can be hours
or days away if a trail crumbles and you drop, or if you get lost or
trip and hurt yourself -- sample story he
http://www.kgw.com/news/trappedhunter-131374633.html and he
http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Portla...ng-in-Mt-Hood-

wilderness-126540013.html
. Note that these are today's stories.

It's a rare week from April to October that there aren't at least two
search and rescue missions going on in the county I live in, just SE of
Portland, Oregon. When you do something stupid or just plain unlucky in
unforgiving country, you're not just endangering yourself, you're also
potentially endangering volunteer rescuers.

Rivers, lakes and streams in the Northwest tend to be very cold because
they are snowmelt. Cold water drownings are very common... the top few
inches of the water seems warm enough to swim, but you can very quickly
get chilled, lose muscle function, sink and drown in just a few minutes.
Note that during October you can expect water temps of 6-10oC.

At the seashore, be wary of sneaker waves that can knock you off your
feet and carry you out instantly, and logs in the surf or on the beach
that can crush you in an instant.
http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/PARKS/beach_tips.shtml

Hand held GPS devices can help prevent getting lost. Make sure someone
knows where you are when you head away from parking areas -- a traveling
companion or leave a dated and timed note on the dashboard of your
car... something like "two on north trail; expect to be back by 6 pm
10/1" or register with a ranger station if that's available. Do not
expect cell service to be available in many, many areas.

DO NOT TRUST CAR GPS SYSTEMS FULLY to get you to your destination safely
in the backwoods... they don't distinguish between forest roads that are
barely traveled and often poorly maintained and a main highway. We've
had several tragedies and near tragedies in my part of the world from
that, notably the Kim family (google James Kim) or
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2...retien-search-

rescue.html
Carry good maps (if you're a member of the RAC, I believe you have
automatic services from AAA, which has excellent maps and tour books)
and stay off the unpaved roads without local advice that they're
passable.

Please know that I'm telling you about these sorts of hazards so you can
have a safe, fun, memorable trip, not to push you into joining an
organized tour group. Use your head, be safe, and please have a
wonderful time. Then come back next year and hit some of the sites in
the SW states... also wonderful.

Kay

Many thanks, Kay. I've sent off for maps and books and I need to work out
an itinerary using the advice I've got here. Thanks again.

--
Panawe