Old January 23rd, 2005, 01:16 AM
bunster

koneko wrote:
It seems like JNTO's website is a big favorite among the posters

here!
=) Which guidebooks did you like besides LP?

Let's Go just published the first edition for Japan this past year.
It's not bad. Also, LP publishes guide for Kyoto and Tokyo.

So, depending on how locked in you are with this package tour, it
wouldn't hurt to check out an "independent" tour.

I really had a hard time deciding on this... but I realized our "tour
days" really only consist of two half-days... I hope it turns out all
right! But you are right, I am having a blast reading all the recs

on
this thread, and planning the trip! =) The price seemed really
good(altho we didn't have time to schedule a ryokan stay, b/c of the
tight schedule... sigh)

Incidentally, we're planning our next trip to Japan this coming

spring.
Cherry blossom season! So some places that are hot for cherry
blossoms are booked up. Keep that in mind. ;-)

We are going to be in Japan the exact same time!! early April!! =)

think that's why I had a hard time booking the places I wanted. Will
you be visiting multiple cities? =)

We're planning 12 nights in Kyoto. With the World Expo happening not
far, we're using Kyoto as a base for going to/from the Expo site. As
well, maybe visit Nara, Himeji and a few other places around Kyoto.
This is when the Rail Pass comes in handy.

Then it's off to Kanazawa, Takayama (Spring Matsuri), Magome and
Tsumago (hike the Nakasendo highway), Matsumoto, then the last five
nights in Tokyo (I'm hoping to catch a Giants game). Overall, we'll be
there for almost a month. :-)