Old June 9th, 2004, 05:04 PM
ash

Default Advice re hotels in BKK please...

We still need the name of this hotel - PLEASE!

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
Tchiowa wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
Tchiowa wrote:
???? Notice that he said Bangkok, not some smaller city. A fairly
cheap tourist hotel in Bangkok is $50. Luxury hotels are over $100 a
night in Bangkok.

At the moment I'm staying in the Grace Hotel on Sukhimvit Soi 3 for 930

baht
per night (about US$23). It's very clean and well-maintained, well

located
(5 minutes' walk to skytrain), probably what I'd call a 3-star. I

cannot
imagine what I could get for more money that would be worth the

additional
expense.

I didn't say that the the additional expense would be worth it. For
some people it is, for others it isn't.

But your note said that anything over $25 a night is "serious luxury"
and that makes no sense. The Nana is more than that and it's anything
but "serious luxury". You won't get into anything that you could call
"luxury" below $100/night.

To elaborate, my 930 baht hotel room had a pool (ok, the pool wasn't in

the
room), concierge services, a TV with about 40 satellite and cable channels
from Asia, the Middle East, and Europe, spotlessly-clean room, nice view

of
the city, one double bed and one twin, three chairs, a desk and a table, a
spacious closet, modem port, and so on.

To me that seems more than adequate for a "tourist" and really quite
adequate for most other travelers as well unless they had particular

special
needs (I would have been happier with in-room broadband, for instance).

A week ago I was in a very high-calibre hotel (the MiCasa Suites in Phnom
Penh) that cost substantially more. Aside from the provision of a full
kitchen, though, everything else additionally provided there was luxury.

miguel