Old December 15th, 2004, 09:17 PM

PLEASE IGNORE MY PREVIOUS POST (74) ! That was written a while ago and
popped up today - out of context. My apologies.

I am raising the white flag.

I grew up in Africa, I spent most of my time here, I have businesses in
East and South Africa. I spend most of my time between East & Southern
Africa. As a result I see many strange things on safari and even
stranger advice on these boards and I wanted to get the following
points across. I think I did and now will go away happily.

1. The private safari option is more affordable than most want to
believe. In Arusha, Nairobi and other cities one can hire a very
dependable vehicle (with driver/guide) for not much more than the
prices you pay on minibus group tours. This is fact and not fiction. If
you're a single traveler (like me), your driver/guide is great dinner
company and you will have a lifelong friend for future visits.

2. It is easy nowadays to do business from overseas with East and
Southern Africa safari companies. They do it all the time and you will
be in good hands.

3. Compare shop, and do some research before hopping on a packaged
tour. Most of these tours visit the wrong places at the wrong time
while staying in the wrong places.

I admire how Hans is doing it but I simply don't have that confidence!
So I stick with a local driver/guide.
Good luck, Joel. You are doing it the right way!