Old April 17th, 2013, 02:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne[_2_]

Default British Isles are perfect for scenic driving London-Paris-Alps-Venice-Athens

Martin wrote:

On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 14:39:01 +0100, (David Horne)
wrote:

Tim C. wrote:

On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 14:55:58 +0200, Martin wrote in post :
:

Best not used in France.
It's not for nothing that "Beware Soft Verges" signs are no longer
used in UK.

I'm still amazed that, considering the huge number of German speakers in
the USA, that they still ask for a Latte when in a coffee house.

Don't think it's huge, despite the ancestry. Wiki claims 1.38 million.

I looked it up, because just judging from the number of Americans with
German surnames it seems far too low.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_American
"German Americans (German: Deutschamerikaner) are citizens of the
United States who were either born in Germany or are of German
ancestry. They comprise about 50 million people,[1] making them the
largest ancestry group ahead of Irish Americans, African Americans and
English Americans.[5] They comprise about 1/3 of the German diaspora
all over the world.[6][7][8]"

But http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_..._United_States
gives a pretty good rationale as to why it would be that low. It
wouldn't surprise me, based on the number of Americans I know who don't
speak a word or the German, despite the ancestry.

(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
"[Do you think the world learned anything from the first
world war?] No. They never learn." -Harry Patch (1898-2009)