Old February 6th, 2008, 04:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.air
William Black

Default Super Jumbo Takes Off Using 'Green' Fuel

"TMOliver" wrote in message

"William Black" wrote...
India wants to build loads but wants nuclear weapons as well, and so
isn't allowed to buy them.

Since I understand that India (with few fossil fuels of its own to recover
locally) is now the world's third largest consumer of energy (not counting
the energy consumed pumping those little spinning wheels), I applaud the
effort.

I do hope you apreciate that the spinning wheels are still being ,made.

I visited the famous spinning wheel factory founded by Gandhi in Ahmedabad
only this year.

I rather fancied one of the "businessman's models" that packed away into
its own laptop sized wooden briefcase so that the dedicated but travelling
follower could spin in the evenings in his hotel room.

But luggage allowances and courier rates to Europe (and the wife, who said
it would just be 'more clutter') decreed it was not to be, this trip
anyway...

As for other countries refusing to sell nuclear weapons, I thought India
had its own devices. Is the world refusing to sell India reactors for
power generation?

Yes.

They're trying to do a deal with the USA as I type but:

1. The left wing of the current Indian coalition won't play because they
say it gives the evil Imperialist Yankees too great a say in Indian policy.

2. There is an individual Congressman in the USA who is against it and
keeps 'fillibustering' (is that the right word) the act and stopping it
getting passed.

If so, given its technological leap forward and a traditionally modest
approach to minimizing industrial hazards, India could build one on every
corner. On the other hand "tea kettles" heated by uranium to produce
steam have largely been deemed unsuitable for cottage industry
applications. If you think thieves will cart off any available copper
wire, just think of what they might do with enriched fuel pellets.

India tends not to be like other places.

For example, I have a rather fetching elephant hair bracelet made with
copper wire 'salvaged' from the railway...

Only certain licensed rural villages are alowed to manufacture elephant hair
bracelets.

Nobody kicks too hard, you wouldn't want to find the 10:15 to Whereeverabad
held up by an elephant on the line...

India has its own design for reactors. It also has a fuel supply problem
caused by their none signature on the non proliferation treaty, and another
problem because India is not good at large projects and it's all running
very late indeed.

Remember that this is a country where adjoining plots of land were given to
two power companies to build conventional generating plants on, but one
plot overlapped the other slightly doe to a clerrical error.

The resultant mess then took ten years in the courts to sort out and was
resolved late last year.

Also remembering that India is a country where most of the people have power
for 10 hours in every twelve (except in the capital city where it's nine in
twelve) I find this incredible. But when I'm in India I live in the only
place with reliable 24 hour power...

"See the subtle glow in the Maharani's gardens! Those are not solar
powered low voltage lights!"

See the glow!

This is India.

They'd be selling tickets to the party illuminated by the new and exciting
green glow...

Quite possibly with the slogan "Take the glow home tonight"

--
William Black

Time for tea.