Old January 13th, 2009, 02:18 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
A Mate[_2_]

Default Restaurant Tipping in Australia

Tipping is a minor facet of Australian life - AND in only a very few areas.

In all except top end silver service restaurants tipping is neither required
nor expected. In fact it's non-existent.

On taxis, almost everywhere, it's the norm to round the fare up to the next
'5' or '0'.

Porters are found in so few hotels (5* maybe; not always then) that they're
not an issue.

Occasionally a drinker will leave his/her small change after the last drink
in a bar.

"freenews.iinet.net.au" wrote in message
Tipping is a very un Australian thing to do.

I haven't seen one for many years, but there used to be signs in pubs
saying "Tipping is un-Australian". My guess is that the signs were
orchestrated by one of the unions seeking to increases wages by
discouraging tipping so employers couldn't use it as an excuse to reduce
wages.

Personally, as an Australian, I don't see the point of tipping -- I think
we should pay for the overall product/service which in turns pays the
staff who deliver it. Even when travelling overseas in cultures where
tipping is the norm, it seems very inconsistent to me. Why do you tip a
cab driver but not a bus driver? Why do you tip a waitress but not a
flight attendant? Etc.

Kerry