Old February 22nd, 2007, 12:40 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Deeply Filled Mortician

Default International Drivers License -- Do you really need one?

Let is be knownst that on Wed, 21 Feb 2007 23:17:40 GMT,
writted:

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 00:03:21 +0100, Deeply Filled Mortician
wrote:

Driving through those countries, you should have the licence for one
simple reason - insurance.

If something goes wrong, and it could, the insurance agencies would
take one look at your lack of international licence, and will say "oh
ho ho, we ain't gonna pay".

Weigh it up.
--
---
DFM -

That's a point no one has raised before. Is that really true? I've
never heard of that but if it is the case, then it sure argues for
getting the IDL. Do you have any anecdotes where this has actually
happened? Do you know any place that I can check with the insurance
companies? I will be checking with the car rental agency I am dealing
with.

Any body else run into this situation?

Just cover yourself at every conceivable point. The insurance
companies would look for any detail to argue over, and the police and
courts won't sympathise with you at all.

Frankly, I wouldn't use a car for this type of trip at all, because
public transport is good in all those regions. Sure as heck it's gonna
be a lot cheaper!
--
---