Old December 19th, 2007, 11:31 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Ken Blake

Default Also SF,, The Slanted Door

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 22:18:26 GMT, "James Silverton"
wrote:

Ken wrote on Wed, 19 Dec 2007 11:39:52 -0700:

?? singlemalt wrote on Tue, 18 Dec 2007 20:05:01 -0600:
??
s "PeterL" wrote in message
??
?? On Dec 18, 2:59 pm, "singlemalt"
?? wrote:
?? We have been researching restaurants in SF and keep
?? running across the Slanted Door. Some on Chowhound say
?? it is a tourist trap nowadays and no SF people go to
?? it. Any opinions either way, and is the food
?? good, which ultimately is most important. Thanks, jw
??
?? It's good food for people who are afraid to go to a real
?? Vietnamese restaurant.
??
?? I don't really think of it as a Vietnamese restaurant;
?? definitely fusion, IMHO.

KB Definitely. It's certainly not Vietnamese, and doesn't even
KB pretend to be. It has as much to do with being "afraid to
KB go to a real Vietnamese restaurant" as it does with being
KB afraid to go to a real Japanese restaurant. Although the
KB chef/founder might be Vietnamese, the food isn't and is a
KB blend of several different styles. I very much like the
KB inventiveness of that kind of blending.

San Francisco has a number of enjoyable fusion restaurants. Not
far from The Slanted Door, with a good view of the Bay Bridge,
is the Brasserie Chaya whose Japanese chef prepares
Japanese-inspired fusion dishes. The sushi that I like for
appetizers can be really inventive!

Thanks. I've heard of it, but never eaten there. I'll make a point of
trying it the next time I'm in San Francisco.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup