Old February 25th, 2006, 07:56 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Colon, Panama

Dear Peanut M

Colon was one of my favorite stops. My buddy and I did it on our own.
We got off the ship and looked for a place to get a cab; a cop brought
us over to a guy who was a real gem. For aprox 80 bucks (including a
generous tip) [and it wasn't per person - it was 80 for two] he took
us on a forty minute ride to La Gusta beach. It's a public beach with
facilities. Great snorkeling. Beautiful beach. Family oriented. He
waited for us for an hour and a half while we snorkeled {he watched our
stuff}, then he drove us over to the locks where we ended up tagging
onto the end of a ship excursion {I think we would have had to pay
extra if not for the coincidence}. Originally, we were just planning
on going to the beach, but when we realized the locks were on the way
back to the ship, our driver said he'd take us for only 15 dollars
extra {that was included in my 80 dollars above}. So anyway, great
time. But a warning: be prepared for extreme poverty. Enjoy your
cruise.
-
David