Old August 5th, 2004, 05:37 AM
Miguel Cruz

Default Travel Socks

tslugmo wrote:
I understand what you're saying, Miguel, but I prefer cotton socks when
I'm at home, because I have unlimited access to a washer and dryer. On
the road, however, I don't have that luxury. So I need to use socks made
of quick drying material that won't turn hard and crusty from air drying
like cotton gym socks. If you've ever tried to air dry Foot Locker socks,
you know that they take well over a day to dry, which doesn't work when
you're hopping from place to place in Europe. I also spend much more of
my day on my feet when I'm traveling, versus my normal daily routine which
involves quite a bit more sitting in front of a computer. Some of the
clearanced socks at REI are $3/pair, which I consider a small investment
to help make sure my trip is a good one. Wet or uncomfortable socks can
definitely ruin your day. This is the voice of experience.

I guess. I travel for much (often most) of the year, and when I have free
time (i.e., vacation trips, or weekends on business travel) my favorite
thing is to walk an unfamiliar place from morning until night (a nice
12-hour walk does me right). Black cotton, slightly-cushioned Hanes socks,
$7 for a 6-pack at Target, have served me well for years. Wash a few in the
evening with the hotel soap, wring 'em out a bit, roll them in a spare towel
for a minute or two, drape them over a chair near the A/C or window, and by
the next evening they're dry and ready to go. Takes about 5 minutes of
actual work for a whole load.

Now it's entirely possible that I've missed out on a whole world of advanced
sockly splendor, but I must say I have no complaints so far.

miguel