Old September 12th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Mark Hewitt

"Auntie Em" wrote in message
When I refused a charge with the Knights Inn, in Corpus Christi, Texas
becaus there was not hot water, I did not have to pay it. On the
other hand, when I refused a charge at the Isle of Capri Hotel in Lake
Charles, Louisiana, due to having the wrong sized sheet on my bed,
they did protest it and I ended up having to pay.

It's the luck of the draw I think.

Sheraton in Seattle. The toilet was slow to drain, I had to flush it twice
to make it work. I didn't think anything of it and went off for the day.
Came back and found they wanted to give me $50 in compensation, without me
asking! nice one.

Travelodge near Southampton, England, was an airlock in the plumbing, made a
noise which meant I couldn't get to sleep, got one night refunded and moved
for the other two.

Travelodge at Edinburgh. Fan in the bathroom would not turn off, again no
sleep. I complained before I went to bed but they were unable to move me, I
got £10 compensation, upgraded to £15 when told them how stupid it was that
just because it was 5pm they were unable to get someone out to fix it. £15
was okay but I think I should have gotten a full refund, was £70 in total.

Jurys Inn at Birmingham. Room was not cleaned, bed not made. I complained to
the desk and they said it would be fixed before I got back at night. Got
back and it wasn't. I complained again but didn't want to move rooms. I
wrote an email complaint once I got home and they rang me up to aplogise and
gave me a full refund.

Whenever I've got money back it was down to the hotel to do. I didn't wait
until afterwards and then demand a refund without it being agreed
beforehand.

My biggest problem in hotels is noise, and in city centres and next to
Motorways that can often be difficult to avoid.