Old March 11th, 2004, 05:28 PM
jas kim

Default My experience at Sandals Jamaica

For those of you considering Sandals Jamaica here are my thoughts.
You can do much better for the same money.

The accomodation even in the grande deluxe beach front are not 3 star
equivalent.

I am originally from a third world country so that did not bother me
too much, but when I realized that there are hotels with better
accomodations for the same price as sandals, I realized I had just
paid for the name and reputation.

I did my honeymoon there and I had one big problem with Sandals.
Initially, I debated about whether to pay for a beach front room or a
regular room. After convincing myself that this is my honeymoon and I
will only do this once(hopefully), I decided to pay the premium for a
grande deluce beach front room that supposedly has a view of the
ocean. Well guess what?? The room had no beach front view. There was
a huge tree that blocked the view. I raised the issue with the
manager and they noted that the advertisments are meant to suggest
beach front "access" as opposed to beach front view. What a pile of
crap. Following that argument they could put you up in a hotel in the
middle of the country because it has beach front access via roads!!

The tree blocked the view of several of our neighbours who were also
irrated. The day I checked out the tree was trimmed which made it a
bit better but clearly no clear view of the ocean. Since I returned
to the US, I have contacted them and asked for a refund of the premium
I paid for beach front view but they are sticking to their beach front
access crap. At the end of the day, I just wrote off the experience
and cost. I wrote the Better business burea so that others will have
knowledge of my complaint.

While I would not necessarily discourage others from going, I would
suggest if you are going to pay for beach front view to get a
confirmed room number at the time you make your reservation so that
you can look at the map and make sure you will actually have a view of
the sea.

Overall my experience was ok but not exceptional. No more Sandals for
me.

Feel free to email with specific questions.

(obviously remove the NOSPAM prefix from
my email address)

jasguild