Old August 23rd, 2006, 05:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

Default Bilingual in Europe versus USA

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 16:45:09 +0100, Padraig Breathnach
wrote:

Martin Bienwald wrote:

I think that would be the case in most places with more than one official
or "default" language. I guess in Brussels "bilingual" would mostly refer
to Dutch/French, for example. I'd expect that it refers to English/French
in at least some parts of Canada.

Louisiana too, I would expect.

French is not a language used in Louisiana. They use a patois
called "Cajun" which probably wouldn't be classified as French
any longer (although much of it betrays its obvious French
roots). Cajun has strayed even further from the French of
Montclam's day than has Quebecoise. Still, I suppose it's
arguable whether Cajun is a dialect of French or a distinct
language.