Old August 7th, 2015, 12:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin

Default if you are over 65...

Jack Campin wrote:
...a member of an EU state, and have ID to prove it,
you can travel free on public transport in Budapest.

Just back from there. Worked great. Also got me free rides on
the scheduled city river boat, and train trips to Pecs and back
for the cost of the seat reservations. The only transport I had
to pay for was the children's railway in the Buda Hills.

One slight glitch: the checkers on the metro stand rather close
to the top of the escalators. After being waved through, you
don't have much time to get your passport back in your pocket
before you're on your way down. I worried about dropping it into
the guts of the escalator machinery. (Many of the escalators at
the big stations are unusually fast, you need to get your balance
before stepping on one).

BTW does Hungary have ANY fire regulations for tourist accommodation?
Otherwise well-constructed and well-restored places seemed like total
deathtraps. You could easily get stuck the wrong side of a very strong
door with no emergency override on a complex lock and not a single
extinguisher to help.