Old August 15th, 2006, 10:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.australia+nz
yaofeng

Default Film Cameras in Checked Luggage

Larry in Berkeley wrote:
If you are travelling by air with a film camera, don't forget that now
all airlines require cameras to be in checked luggage, not carried on
board. It is absolutely essential to have the film (and the camera
containing film) in a lead pouch. Otherwise, many strong x-rays used
for checked luggage will fry all your film.

Camera stores have or can get the lead pouches.

On my last trip, I had some instant coffee in a plastic container with
a small silver-plated spoon. One of the x-ray machines was so strong
that it melted and solidified all the coffee! Not exactly film safe!

Larry in Berkeley, California

The thieves in baggage handling (or TSA) will have a bounty picking
cameras off checked bags. I had my digital camera stolen two years ago
in checked luggage. I'll check it with the TSA and get a receipt if
they insist on putting it in checked bags.