Old September 10th, 2013, 12:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Default on the subject of airports..

Am Tue, 10 Sep 2013 13:27:55 +0200 schrieb Tom P:

On 10.09.2013 12:32, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 12:24:13 +0200, Tom P wrote:

... for flights inside the Schengen area, is there now a some kind of
agreement that you don't need a passport or an official ID card?
I've noticed recently that on internal flights in Germany I never
needed to show anything other than a boarding card, but I hate dragging
my passport around for no good reason, and I'd hate to be refused
boarding just because I didn't have it with me.

In the Netherlands it is obligatory to carry valid ID at all times.

True in theory in Germany, but it's not as if you are going to get
arrested on the street.

Not true like this. You need to be able to show it when checked, but you
don't have to carry it with you. It's perfectly legal to keep it in the
safe of your hotel-room (or at your home, when you live in Germany), and if
you should get asked for it, you go to your room and get it.

Then again, I live in Germany for over 40 years and have never been asked
my ID-card randomly on the street. At least not when you're walking around,
it's different if you drive your car, then they can (and will) check car
papers, ID and driver's licence.

As for the flights - it depends on the airline. Some airlines won't let you
board a plane without a proper ID, even when you stay within schengen-area.
So I would always carry one.

Reagrds,

Frank