Old January 3rd, 2008, 11:22 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
AZ Nomad

Default luggage locks

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 17:03:15 -0500, LVTravel wrote:

I don't use the luggage locks to keep the thieves out but to keep the
clothes in. Any lock is only a temporary deterrent to keep an honest person
honest. I have seen many pieces of luggage with the zippers down and
clothes viewable to God and country because the zippers unzipped in transit.
I have also seen hardsided luggage wide open since the latches weren't
locked (pre 9-11.).

Any lock you put on a bag checked at the airport may be snipped by the TSA and
no lock will protect any bag not made of iron and as heavy as a safe.

I just use cable ties so that I can know if somebody has been rummaging around
in my bag and if I need to check for theft by baggage handlers, the TSA, etc.