Old October 1st, 2007, 06:47 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
proffsl

Default Driver Licensing not about highway safety

"Alohacyberian" wrote:
"Alan S" wrote:
"Alohacyberian" wrote:
"proffsl" wrote in message

Licensing does have nothing to do with highway safety.

Your assertion is simply deluded. A school child could
present cogent reasons as to the correlation between the
two.

I agree. However, on an allied subject, this was a news item
here last night. Interviews with the town authorities were
positive; interviews with Insurance representatives were
not:
http://www.spiegel.de/international/...505246,00.html

"German Town Scraps Road Signs to Increase Safety

Snipped for brevity

Very interesting concept, but I predict it will increase accidents,
especially for pedestrians.

Seems as if your "school child" powers of reasoning are wrong even
before you express them. From that same article:

"The radical philosophy has already been implented in the town of
Drachten in the Netherlands, which has abolished its road signs and
traffic lights. Accidents there have declined dramatically since the
new regime was introduced."

Germany, like Italy, already has traffic injury and death tolls that are
gruesome. And in my personal observation over the years, some of
the most hare-brained schemes have come from governmental
groups' whose actions have put heavy burdens on the populace.

Yadda, yadda, yadda.