Old February 8th, 2009, 02:35 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

Default different traffic light sequences from state to state- cause accidents

"Brian" wrote in message
On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 22:08:25 -0800 (PST), JamesStep
wrote:

Safety guidelines (and in some cases state law) require around 3 to
3.5 seconds minimum for yellow lights, to give people time to stop
safely. Otherwise you'll have people who can't stop in time and go
thru a red light and collide with cross traffic, or if they slam on
their brakes then possibly getting hit by the car behind them.

Rear end collisions increase when there are red light cameras. The
argument is that the T bone accidents are more serious and are reduced
by the cameras. I don'y know if I buy that or not.

I have little sympathy for someone who rear-ends someone. Defensive
driving, you know.