Old August 21st, 2013, 05:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis[_3_]

Default Phone booths (was: Cell phone for European travel)

Josef Kleber:

Am 21.08.2013 07:36, schrieb Erick T. Barkhuis:

For instance, in Germany, almost every village and town has one or
more pink 'Deutsche Telekom" booths.

I very much doubt that. There was a report in the newspaper a few
weeks ago, that the last booth got axed. And it's not a village but
the Kreisstadt.

Statistics* show, that the number of cell phones in Germany decreases,
but there are still about 50.000 such public phones available. With
11,000 communities in the country, that's an average of about 5 of them
in each community.

There are for sure some in bigger cities, e.g. in Munich i know. But
it will be a long walk, if you know were it is. If you are lucky it
will even work! ;-)

Two places where you'll be almost guaranteed to find at least one phone
booth:
- the central railway or bus station
- the central town square

In the village where I live, with only 1,100 inhabitants, I know of two
phone boxes.

Increasingly, public phone booths are equipped with hot spot facilities
as described on http://mwl.telekom.de/mwl/public-services/infrastruktur
Assuming that many hot spots are phone booths as well, these can be
located using http://www.t-mobile.de/funkversorgung/ . I had a look at
small cities like Lingen(Ems), Rheine and Nordhorn, and found the
location of several dozens of hotspots, which I know as phone booths.
In these towns, however, I know of more phone booths, which are
apparently no hotspots (yet).

Tourists, who tend to visit the town's centers, will still easily find
public phone booths, at least as shown above for Germany.

*
http://de.statista.com/statistik/dat...and-seit-2006/

--
Erick