Old August 21st, 2013, 08:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Clarke

Default Cell phone for European travel

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 12:11:14 +0100, "tim....."
wrote:

My US phone is CDMA -- guaranteed not to work in Europe.

I will need a new phone. The base question is "Where to get an
inexpensive
unlocked GSM phone

Why does it need to be un locked?

Doesn't it have to be unlocked in order to load a SIM? Mercy, guys; I'm at the
stage of not even knowing which questions to ask.

You're not going to be signing up for a new "contract" in each country that
you visit, are you?

and if you get a PAYG SIM you will find that "local" call charges are not
any cheaper that the EU imposes roaming charges (mine aren't anyway). And
whilst incoming will be free you will have the added aggro of informing you
callers of a new number each time you visit a new country.

I actually expect to use it only for (a) contacting other members of my party
"Where the hell did you go off to NOW??" or (b) calling ahead to my next lodging
"We're stuck in heavy traffic, but we'll be there. Don't give our reservation
away." or (c) drunk-calling the kids at midnight Paris time to tell them what a
great time we're having on their inheritance :-)

FrankC
(chg Arabic# to Roman to reply)