Old July 22nd, 2004, 04:03 AM
John Bermont

Default International Drivers License?

MattB wrote:
Would it be advantageous for an American wanting to drive in France to
have an International Drivers License?
Thanks!

I usually get an International Driving Permit before going to Europe
whether I plan to drive or not. It is sometimes valuable as an extra
piece of security ID in lieu of leaving a passport. And it is reportedly
required for driving in some countries. When I'm stopped by a police
officer (hasn't happened in France) I show him the IDP along with my
drivers license, passport, car title, and insurance.

If you are driving in France for the first time my page at
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap18/auto.htm can help get you up the
learning curve before you hit the road.

John Bermont

* * * Mastering Independent Budget Travel * * *
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/