Old March 7th, 2004, 07:20 PM
michael

Default Travelling to Rio

**** Rio **** Brazil
"Bruno Carneiro da Cunha" wrote in
message ...
"dajaxon" wrote in message
I woudl hope that other countries would understand why Americans are

gunshy
and may be subjecting travelers to unusual checks - by the way are any
Brazilians help fight terrorism? just wondering?

Of course Brazilians are all for fighting against terrorism. But "the war

on
terrorism" has (or should have) absolutely nothing to do with hassling
third-world country's citizens. Most of the people involved with 9/11

would
have been caught beforehand if the security checks already in place were
applied (like for instance checking if Atta had actually enrolled in the
school like he told the consulate general), and all terror scares after

that
came from Europe! But never once did the U.S. government told the

Brazilian
government that computer scanneable passports with biometric information
would be an alternative for the extended hassle, like it is for Europeans.

So it is hard for many Brazilians (yours truly included) to build the

bridge
between US-VISIT and "the war on terrorism."

So since Brazil has placed these NEW get-back-atcha strategies, I

happily
take my business elsewhere.

So will Brazilians, but I don't think this attitude will help anyone. BTW,
these are OLD "get-back-atcha strategies." Brazil instituted a fee for
issuing visas after U.S. did the same thing to Brazilian applicants.
Brazilians banned visas issued by mail after the U.S. did the same thing

Brazilians. It is our prerrogative to treat U.S. citizens as well as they
treat ours.

I don't knock Brazilians by the way - I love their hospitality, language

and
varied races - but what purpose does the new strategy have? Inever

n=knew
Brazilian o be vindictive.

"Vindictive" means there is an act of retribution involved. I think that
"just" is the word you are looking for here.

B.