Old September 20th, 2003, 12:33 AM
Cheche

Default Booked trip to Fiji...Now what

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 13:56:21 -0700, "Tim A" wrote:

Hello all,

I have finally booked my trip to Fiji! Myself and a good friend will be
headed there from November 23 through December 4th. We will be staying at
the Sonaisali Resort http://www.sonaisali.com/ for five days, separated into
3 and 2, so that we can use the middle nights to explore the surrounding
areas. I have already read the Travelers Guide To Oceania as recommended by
some here.

A few people recommended flying to Vanuatu and spending a few nights there,
but let me clarify what my intentions a

We are looking for an adventureous trip, rather than the lap of luxury. We
are not planning on getting SCUBA certified, because we aren't avid divers
and don't know how worthwhile it would be to get certified and then dive
only once, maybe twice. We really want to rent a boat and cruise around the
islands on our own, perhaps pitching a tent on some of the uninhabited
islands. After reading the book on Oceania it wasn't recommended to do this
because different tribes have rules about where you can go, and we don't
want to rub anyone's nose the wrong way.

I stayed on several islands of the Yasawa group, which is north west of Viti Levu. No problems at
all with native people, they are all very friendly. First ask to speak with the chief in town and
bring some kava (local drink).

You only have a couple of days, I see. Well, try to do a trip with 'awesome adventures'. They can
make trips to the islands as long (or short) as you wish including lodging. Bring flashlights as
there is no electricity (and also, there's no hot water).

We are single, straight men and in our mid-twenties, and would love some
nightlife (i.e. women) but that isn't essential to the trip (just an added
bonus).

Beachcomber as said, is the island for young singles. It's very touristic, small and has nothing to
do with real nightlife. But, ok there is some nice beachlife.

You can find some discotheques in Nadi and some pubs. Of course Suva offers the most. When I visited
those clubs, eh....well..... Go see some pics of clubs in the seventies and you'll see what you get
at Fiji :-)

We like to swim, snorkel, hike, run, jet ski, etc. Maybe we can rent
jet skis for the day and cruise the islands? Where are some good spots to go
for what I am envisioning? I keep telling myself everything will pan out
once I'm there, but I'd really like to figure some stuff out before going.

I would love any insight or feedback anyone can provide.

I haven't seen jet skis. Distances between Vitu and the islands is too big.

Suva has a bad climate; it rains a lot. It's much better on the islands.

Have a nice trip!

Adiós,

Cheche.