Old October 8th, 2010, 05:28 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
A Mate

Default Camping on the Burke Developmental Road?

On 8/10/2010 4:09 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
[Since this group is dead as a doornail, I might as well take this
opportunity to ask questions and see if there are still any
subscribers/lurkers.]

Has anyone driven the Burke Developmental Road (in Northern Queensland,
from Normanton to Chillagoe)?

If so:

- Is it a worthwhile trip (considering that we like the outback, wide
open spaces, etc.)?

- How about camping, both in the wild (i.e. beside the road, on a rest
area, on a parking stop) and on some form of official campground (for
example on the property of a homestead, etc.)?

- Any other info?

FYI, we will be there around early April and will betravelling in a 4WD
campervan.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

My recommendation would be to take the Gulf Developmental Road. It's
just 60km longer. You would go through Croydon, a regular metropolis at
the height of the Gold Rushes; Georgetown, with its excellent Mineral
Museum; Mount Surprise, with the nearby Undarra Lava Tubes. The road
surface is much 'friendlier' - especially at the likely tail end of a
big wet - mainly sealed with many streams bridged. Good facilities for
camping too - each of the named centres has Council Camping Grounds.