Old October 21st, 2007, 11:00 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
amslink

Default Traveling in UK and Germany - where to rent car?

On Oct 20, 4:23 pm, "Brian" wrote:
I will be traveling in UK and Germany and am trying to figure out if I
should rent a car in Germany or UK. I will be driving more in Germany and
was thinking I would rent in Germany. But will that pose any problems in UK
(i.e. steering wheel on left side)? I know some rental agreements also have
restrictions on taking cars across borders.

thanks,

brian

The real challenge is cross border policies for hire companies.
Firstly boarding cars onto ferries is usually excluded so the tunnel
is the only means of crossing the English Channel but most hire
companies in Europe do not allow their cars to be taken into the UK
anyway, because of the difficulty of driving left hand drive cars in a
right hand drive country.

Renting in the UK and driving to Germany is achievable providing you
have very deep pockets as the hire company will load penal charges for
insurance, breakdown cover and so on, basically to discourage you from
the practice.

As to automatic versus manual transmission, you will pay a lot more
for an automatic but if you are used to left hand drive in your own
country, you will not find a stick shift too hard to adapt to. On the
other hand if you do take a left hand drive car into the UK, I suggest
that automatic is the only way to go as you have one less thing to
worry about.

Regards,

Graham
http://www.ams-link.co.uk