Old September 10th, 2004, 03:44 AM
Matt

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message

I agree, there should be a way to get off of the list, and there should

be
valid reason for getting put on the list in the first place. But you

don't
throw out the whole list because of mistakes, you fix it. Just like you
don't disband a police department because of a bad arrest.

Matt

You are all forgetting that there is no such thing as a list of persons.
What there is is a list of names and a matching algorithm. If the
funky matching algorithm matches a name on the list you are dumped. The
problem is that they keep making you prove that you aren't the person
who they are interested in. It is ridiculous that they cannot manage a
list of persons with a match who have been cleared as safe despite
matching. Extremely inefficient.

That's pretty much exactly what I've been saying so I agree completely.

The real question is not whether the current implementation of the list is a
good one, I think we all agree that it has some major flaws. The real
question is should there be a list in the first place? I personally don't
care if there is a no fly list as long as it doesn't unfairly target those
that have no reason to be on it in the first place. I'm willing to allow a
certain amount of leeway for the occasional misidentification, as long as
there is a way to correct the error. Such a list can never be 100% perfect,
and need not be held to that kind of a standard.

Matt