Old June 4th, 2008, 10:43 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe
Alan S[_1_]

Default Istanbul and Gallipoli

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 14:52:10 +0530, "grusl"
wrote:

I'm off to Istanbul for a few days this month. First visit to Turkey and
basically a spur-of-the-moment idea while my wife is visiting her mother.

I'm flying BLR-IST with GF (two four-hour hops with a two hour layover in
BAH and, being GF, will no doubt be late), which cost INR40,000 - about
USD1000 - and staying at the Turing Ayasofya Konaklari in Sogukçesme sokagi
in the Sultanahmet district at EUR120 per night. (No doubt those diacritics
won't come out).

In the middle of the stay I'm planning for an overnight trip to Gallipoli
via Canakkale. The hotel says it does group tours, which I don't especially
mind in an unfamiliar country (and especially if there are knowledgable
veterans on the tour ... not from the original 1915 conflict of course), but
if anyone knows a more interesting way to see the battlefield sites and
memorials I'm listening. I'm OK with bus, train or car options.

I have the LP guide to Istanbul and I'm basically interested in the city's
history, architecture, art, museums, walking, and eating and drinking
(restaurant and raki bar recommendations welcome; I'm completely
omnivorous). I'm not a shopper. I take photos but not well. My brief
research into Canakkale gives the general impression it's a swinging
university town but I may have to adjust that for local sentiments.

Cheers,

George W Russell

Bangalore

Hi George

My mum just got back from Gallipoli, but she was on a group
tour so that may not be a lot of help. I'll see what I can
find out. She's not really into the swinging scene:-)

In the meantime, I visited Istanbul back in 2006. Maybe
these will offer some ideas:
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/2006...re-turkey.html

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--