Old June 5th, 2008, 06:27 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe
grusl[_3_]

Default Istanbul and Gallipoli

"Gerald Oliver Swift" wrote in message
Wonderful, that that after about 2 weeks or so, we have a meaningful
discussion on rte!
And also really pleased that some of the regular contributors are still
about.

And as for my 2 penneth worth..... Cannakkle is a small. non-descript town
with a harbour on the Dardanelles - but it is the jumping off point for
both Gallipoli and Troy.
Irrespective of nationality, interest in WW1, etc., Gallipoli is a MUST -
as too, obviously, is Troy.
Tours to both sites are widely available just about everywhere in
Cannakkale.

I don't have my hopes set terribly high, but it will be a worthwhile visit
for me. And a harbour on the Dardanelles can't be all bad. Fish sandwiches,
at least?

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore