Old November 6th, 2005, 03:02 AM
Frank F. Matthews

Default Why do Americans not travel more internationally ?

SMS wrote:

lid wrote:

The per capita percentage of Americans that travel internationally for
pleasure is low compared to other western nations.

This seems strange, given the relatively high standard of living and
disposable income of Americans.

Although there has been a recent spike of US citizens obtaining
passports, thi sis mainly due to recent legislation and it is doubtful
the passports will increase the amount of travel outside North
America.

Why is the international travel so low ?

Because major employees give so little vacation, and because every time
you change jobs, you start over from 2 weeks or so.

That has an influence but I manage an international trip for 2/3 or so
of the spring breaks of about 9 days. My last three springs have been
Iberia, Paris, & Italy. Next year though it will be the Carolinas.