Old October 23rd, 2011, 05:29 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Fly Guy

Default Air travel - carrying excess of $10k or equivalent (was: CyberFlying???)

William Black wrote:

When you fly between countries, you must declare if you are
carrying more than $10k (or equivalent in local currency).

I know, I do.

Except that in the UK there's nowhere to tell them...

There's no immigration check on leaving the country, just airline
officials and airport security...

So you just walk through with your wad of notes in a pocket...

The following comments were taken from he

http://www.customsandinternationaltr...t-the-airport/

============
MIKE - December 7, 2010 4:53 PM

Hi, Last month my spouse and I were carring $10500 on a trip overseas,
we assumed that each person can carry up to $10 K in cash so we had a
little over $5000 each and we did not report it. Before we boarded the
plane we were called for an inspection by CBP officers and searched,
they counted our cash and had us fill out "FinCen form 105", we kept our
cash and left on our trip. Should we expect a letter or be called by
CBP? or that was the end of it.

RESPONSE: I hope that it is the end of it which is likely since they
allowed you to depart with your $$. If not, you know how to contact me
(954 270-1864). How was the trip?

shawn - December 30, 2010 2:10 PM

My friend was leaving lax nov 22 2010 he claime that he has $4000.00
after inspection by CBP he have $34,700.00 do you think he get it back ?

ANSWER: Yes, your "friend" should get it all, or most of it, back from
Customs if your friend can properly explain and document the source of
the money and the intended use of the money. Plus, a written Petition,
or interview with an ICE Agent doing a petition investigation, must be
persuasive that the miscalculation was an error and not intentional.

JK - August 22, 2011 6:26 AM

I'm a US citizen, my spouse is a UK citizen. She was carrying 3000, I
was carrying just under 7000. At the airplane gate, CBP asked everyone
how much money they were carrying and we answered - we were holding sub
10000 even though it was split between the 2 of us. They then said we
had to declare it, and I was confused because I thought we had to
declare only above 10000. They checked us and then made us sign
something. I have no idea what I signed because I really dislike talking
to CBP and immigration (despite being a fully law-abide US citizen).

Are they allowed to do that? To force you to declare an amount below
10k? Truthfully, it is things like this that make me want to keep
everything in fully disclosed offshore accounts (saying one thing in
official rules but enforcing different rules at whim).

ANSWER: You do not need to complete any CBP or Treasury forms when
transporting internationally $10,000 or less. You are correct, many U.S.
citizens and residents keep money offshore permanently to avoid the
hassle by CBP.

Jim - September 10, 2011 3:55 AM

I'm moving to chile, I want to bring as much of my money as I can, the
only problem is, most of it is bullion. I dont want any problems, so I
will bring less than 10,000, i heard that I can only bring $2,500 in
bullion without reporting it to customs so I will have to convert most
of it to cash... my plan is to bring 2,400 in bullion and about 7,000 in
USD and Chilean Pesos. I will tell the truth about the amounts when
asked. will I be ok doing this? is there another way? Is there a way to
bring just under 10k in gold without reporting it so I dont have to
convert most of it to cash?

ANSWER: I certainly can answer this question, but not on a public forum.
============

The person answering the above question (Peter Quinter?) is especially
coy about not answering certain questions, such as the one immediately
above (which involves gold) and also with regard to how does the $10k
currency reporting limit apply to a family group as opposed to a single
person.

But in reading those stories, it's clear that the US gov't is pulling
out all the stops to rob both citizens and foreigners alike when they
return to the US with large amounts of legal money.

And if you notice, there appears to be situations where people leaving
the US via plane are somehow intercepted by CBP somewhere in the airport
before departure and grilled about the money they are carrying. I'm
especially curious about how that happens...