Old May 9th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Hans-Georg Michna

Default Going to Tanzania and/or Kenya June2005 - Lots of Questions

"Justin Leggroan" wrote:

I'm hoping to arrange a 10 day photo/viewing safari to Kenya/Tanzania in
June of 2005. Since it is now nearly the same time of year that I am hoping
to make the trip, I figured it is also a good time to start asking a lot of
questions.

If there is anyone doing something similar this year or has done so in years
past, I'd really like to hear from you?

Here are my questions:

Justin,

I can only comment on some of them. I'm sure others will fill in
the blanks.

Note:

During my trip, I'd like to stay exclusively in Lodges if possible.... I
understand it is a bit more expensive but what the heck, it will make for a
great first trip.

That's actually normal. Nothing to worry about. In or near the
larger nature reserves there is no other choice except camping.

Question 2

I will be traveling alone and have read that some of the single supplements
routinely charged during other times of year are often waved in June. Is
this true?

Yes. Not in all lodges, but quite a few charge per person at
least in June. Some are actually quite cheap compared to other
times of the year.

Question 5

With all of the traveling required, how light would you recommend I pack?
and what kind of baggage should I employ for the trip? other than a camera
bag (smile)

Please have a look at the checklists in
http://www.michna.com/kenya.htm. That's a plan for a self-drive
safari, but most checklist items are the same for you too.

Question 6

I'm a very personable and outgoing individual so I don't think I'll have
issues making friends along the way, but does anyone have suggestions for
people going on safari alone?

You always run the risk of ending up with somebody in your group
who gets on your nerves. Fortunately the only time you're really
forced to be together is when you're sitting in the minibus
either on a game drive or on a travelling day.

My recommendation would be to try to make rules to prevent
disturbances. For example, when somebody tends to speak loudly
while watching wild animals, try to achieve a consensus that
this is not desired. I have little practical experience with
this though. I would hope that most tourists to east Africa are
OK.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.