Old April 6th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Volker Hetzer

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" schrieb im Newsbeitrag ...

Lansbury wrote:

If in an aisle seat they could block other passengers in that row from getting
out quickly enough.

"Row"? Seats in the middle of th plane may be accessed from
either aisle, and most of the aircraft I've been in have
only two seats on the window sides - at worst one would only
inconvenience ONE person. (And it inconveniences them far
more, if the person in the window seat must make frequent
trips to the lavatories.)

For the airline the point is that they have about 130s to empty
an aircraft on fire after the landing. After that, survival chances drop
to almost nil. I'm really sorry to say so but airlines have to minimize
the number of charred bodies inside and BA seems to do so by putting
more mobily appearing passengers at the aisles in order to get the fast
ones out first. This is triage. Get used to it just as I will have to get used
to it that after 60 I won't get a heart transplant in case I'd need one.

As for "just one", how many people do you think should die in an
evacuation because you want to have an aisle seat?

A very rare occurrence in practicality but one BA has at least thought about,
and decided to put the onus on the emergency situation.

So never mind what the passenger wants and has specifically
booked far in advance?

Yes.

Most people with "disabilities" are
far more aware of their capabilities than some "suit" in an
airline's central offices.

a) From what you wrote I assume the window decision was made
by someone who saw you in a wheelchair, right? So no suit in
the central office was involved.
b) FP doesn't know what you're "aware" off because they can't read
your mind and they all have grandparents who see and hear
"perfectly" and "of course" don't colour their hair and definitely don't
need a new knee or hip and so on. They go by what they see. Which
is you in a wheelchair.
c) If you want to convince the FP that you can walk, then do exactly
that, even if it hurts. If it hurts too much, BA will assume you will
slow down a panicking and stomping crowd.

Lots of Greetings!
Volker