Old April 11th, 2005, 01:24 AM
Richard

Citizen Ted wrote in
:

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 14:19:18 GMT, Richard
wrote:

Ken Pisichko wrote in :

Same is true IMHO for Canadians, Iraqis, Australians, ......

Really? Name just one 'hated' Canadian. (This is asked only for non-
Canadians - we have our own list, mostly of politicians.)

Celine Dion.
Bryan Adams.

Har!

Har yerself :-) a big yawn to both of them. Not worth the trouble to
work up a hatred for.

But seriously folks, as an American who lives smack dab on the
Canadian border, I can attest to the fact that Canada has a far
smaller per-capita population of complete assholes. America continues
to lead the way in producing newer, better assholes. Each year sees a
steady rise in our assholiness, and we remain determined to continue
our legacy as the world's #1 producer of selfish, unread assholes.

I'm looking hard at that paragraph and you know what, I don't see
anything to disagree about :-)

For me, crossing into Canada often affords a genuine sense of relief.
The roads, bridges and utilities are modern, well-maintained and
attractive. The merchants tend to be accomodating and capable and the
average Joe (or, in Canada's case, average Cheng), is courteous,
educated and fun to talk with. People drive sanely and carefully, for
the most part. You can chat with people and not have to use small
words or steer the subject to pop culture and TV.

We've got our potholes - just visit Toronto and jump on a bike, you'll
be jolted out of your skin by the lousy roads. And 'courtesy' is usually
just indifference. But if you're from the West, yes, it's true they have
a better respect for folks out there. Even talk to strangers, I'm told.
No self-respecting Torontonian would be caught dead talking to someone
he hasn't been introduced to.

Eventually, it's back to America. I flash 'em my passport and get on
the bumpy, poorly maintained highway with its bent ugly signage,
unkempt shrubbery and sad, empty interchanges. I smoothly pass jackass
after jackass, left-lane squatters with huge SUV's and SUPPORT OUR
TROOPS ribbons on them.

Yep, there's that too. A definite lack of flag-wavers up north.

Eventually, I make it home and spend the next hour cruising Vancouver
personals. I've gone out with a few, but none yet that clicked with
me.

What do you say, ladies?

Who wants to snap up a smart, funny American guy? I can offer you
laughs, loyalty and the occasional surprise.

- TR
- a European trapped in an American's body.

Why not admit it, you'd rather be living in Canada :-)