Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:22 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Tom P[_4_]

Default Drive rental car from US to Mexico??

Hatunen wrote:
On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 18:37:56 +0200, Tom P
wrote:

Hatunen wrote:

I suggest you contact the rental companies and ask them for an
unequivocal answer. And you will have to buy Mexican auto
insurance from a Mexican company (but sold by American agents,
including AAA affiliates). In theory, if you remain in Mexico for
over 72 hours you will also need a visitor's card even though you
will be in the frontier zone.

Thanks.
I just found this link:
http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/?p=1398
T.

Cool. But do check on the Tourist Card (not mentioned on that web
site): http://www.mexonline.com/visamex.htm

The 72-hour requirement is stated a bit ambiguously, but the card
is required, even in the border zone. On the other hand, you are
quite unlikely to be detected without one if don't encounter any
internal check points.

When I fly to Mexico, I declare how long I'm staying, and I get a
tourist card. Are you saying that if I drive into Mexico, I don't go
through immigration?

T.