Old January 6th, 2013, 10:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Default Delphi, Greece Top Three Travel Experiences? Ummm.........

On 2013-01-06 12:53:32 -0600, Poetic Justice said:

Dan*Stephenson wrote;

I like the cool overcastness of the British
Isles.Which is a problem for me since I am also
a fan of ancient Greek ruins, and Greece
is the antithesis of the British Isles.

Try Delphi in January.

I arrived mid-week the afternoon before so the next day I was at the
site when it 1st opened.

The 1st at least 2 hours I was completely alone in the site, it was cold
and drizzling and the clouds were rolling thru the site's ruins in wisps
like this http://tinyurl.com/aklavov

The custodians were all in their little 1 man shacks completely out of
sight and hearing, the fog/clouds and the drizzle dampened any outside
noise, I could only hear my footsteps.

It was very surreal which greatly enhanced my visit to this mystical
site.

I would not exchange that cold drizzling morning silently alone in the
clouds amongst the ruins with the most beautiful warm sunny day Delphi
ever had:-). Regards, Walter

I think I would agree, that Winter in Greece sounds very appealing.
Temperature is right, crowds such as they are, are minimized, and if
overcast -- great! Thanks for the feedback.

When I visited Delphi in 2002 I too was fortunate to have it overcast,
though through luck rather than being seasonal. A raincloud was moving
up the valley side. For a moment, as the rainclose rose, my feet had
rain and my head did not. Very surreal.

http://www.stepheda.com/Grand_Tour_2...Photos.html#13

Delphi was one of the special places in Greece, for me. What were your
other favorate places in Greece? I am going to revisit one day.

--
Dan Stephenson
http://stepheda.com