Old July 5th, 2004, 11:34 PM
Mister Max

Default Sicily

"Ken Blake" posted:

There are some towns (Erice, for example) where the roads are
very old, and therefore extremely narrow.

But outside of such old towns, I never had a problem with the
roads. And such towns are small enough that you can just park at
their edge and walk everywhere. Although driving through them is
difficult, it normally isn't necessary.

More of a problem than the roads is the traffic problem in the
cities.

I am an American. At home I drive a biggish car; I'm aware of its size.
In Sicily I drove an average sized (for Sicily) or small (for the US)
Tempo. In Sicily there are many fine Autostrade on which you can get
around very quickly. OTOH, there are little towns like Erice with
impossibly narrow roads - our hotel took our car and parked it just
outside of town. In Taormina we had to circle the town twice to find our
hotel. In Siracusa there was a "manifestatione" that caused a traffic
jam coming in. And in Palermo, the road system is chaotic and parking is
impossible. In other towns driving wasn't a problem, and between towns
it was a pleasure.

There are photos of Erice, a highway, and several other towns on my web
site - URL below.

- Max

--
MisterMax
Slideshows of Angkor Wat, Bali, Crete, France, Malaysia, Maui, Morocco,